Thursday, October 13, 2011

The inane mirror pic

Unless you are living the internet-free Quaker lifestyle and you are busy with your neighborhood barn raising, you are probably on Facebook.  If so, you have seen the exorbitant amount of mirror pics out there.  Mirror pics?  You are blogging on mirror pics?  Well, yes...I am.
  Mirror pics are usually taken by people in their teens or twenties, but that is not a hard and fast rule.  An occasional adult posts one out there, usually with a sexy pout in a too-tight outfit stolen from their daughter's closet.  Here is what ensues:  A person takes their cell phone into their dirty bathroom, where usually a toilet or sink is quite obvious in the photo, and snaps a picture of themselves in the mirror.  Sometimes they bring a friend into said bathroom and they take the photo together. 
  Call me old fashioned, but what happened to asking someone to take a picture for you?  It really isn't that much of an imposition, and then we won't see the toothpaste smears on your sink or the dirty magazines in the corner of your room.  Or, perhaps, use a tripod if you don't have any friends who exist off of the internet.  Since when did the bathroom become an acceptable place to take a picture?  When I was a young girl, I had a camera with film.  I am only 28, but I remember cherishing each shot- never knowing which ones would turn out- and taking pictures of importance.  As the digital age came upon us, we started deleting photos, taking thousands of pictures and storing them with ease.  If we have such a great ability today to Photoshop our pictures and our technological advances astound previous generations, why are the young people today resorting to taking mirror pictures in their bathrooms?

2 comments:

  1. Meant to comment on this ages ago. I'm mad guilty when it comes to the mirror pic. I don't trust anyone with a camera and my mug but myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then you could set up a tripod, right? :)

    ReplyDelete